Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Hurting Hearts and Struggling Souls - Part 1

Reading through Psalms recently, I noticed frequent references to emotions. God doesn't ignore the profundity of the inner man; in fact, the heart, soul, and spirit are regularly discussed and openly revealed. God created man as a complex creature. Truly, "the inward thought and the heart of a man are deep" (Psalm 63:6).

Some Christians are uncomfortable revealing or discussing emotions, perhaps considering them to be indications of weakness or shallow spirituality. The Bible recognizes the legitimacy of emotions, thoroughly examining these God-given, natural expressions. Clearly, emotions can be good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant. The Bible guides in evaluating emotions, encourages in enduring the unpleasant, and aids in developing the pleasant.   

This study focuses primarily on the words heart, soul, and spirit. While not synonymous, the terms similarly refer to the inner man, the center of man, or the deepest part of man. In some contexts these terms have other meanings; I tried to choose only verses that seem likely to refer to the emotions. The Bible's descriptions of emotion are poignant and descriptive.

General troubles. Undefined struggles, beyond description, often numerous.
"The troubles of my heart are enlarged" (25:17).
"The troubles of my soul" (31:7).
"I pour out my soul within me" (42:4).
"Burden" (55:22).
"I was in distress [narrow place]" (66:14).
"I am so troubled that I cannot speak" (77:4).
"My soul has had enough of troubles" (88:3).

Tears. Unwanted, copious, unending, inconsolable.
"I am weary with sighing; every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears" (6:6).
"My tears" (56:8).
"I am weary with my crying" (69:3).
"The bread of tears ... drink tears in large measure" (80:5).
"I have eaten ashes like bread and mingled my drink with weeping" (102:9).

Grief and sorrow. Affecting the body, constant, deeply painful, eliciting audible groans, seeming beyond healing.
"My eye has wasted away with grief" (6:7).
"Having sorrow in my heart all the day" (13:2).
"The words of my groaning" (22:1).
"My eye is wasted away from grief, my soul and my body also" (31:9).
"For my life is spent with sorrow and my years with sighing" (31:10).
"Brokenhearted ... Crushed in spirit" (34:18).
"I wept in my soul" (69:10). [What an expression!]
"My heart was embittered and I was pierced within" (73:21).
"My soul refused to be comforted" (77:2).
"Groaning" (79:11).
"Make glad the soul of Your servant" (86:4). [He isn't glad now.]
"My heart is wounded within me" (109:22).
"I found distress and sorrow" (116:3).
"My soul cleaves to the dust" (119:25).
"My soul weeps because of grief" (119:28).
"Brokenhearted" (147:3).

Loneliness and abandonment. Relating to God or man, possibly accentuated by neglect or attacks.
"How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me?" (13:1).
"I am lonely and afflicted" (25:16).
"Reproach [scorn, taunting] has broken my heart and I am so sick. And I looked for sympathy, but there was none, and for comforters, but I found none" (69:20).

Emptiness. Lost, no satisfaction, no meaning, beaten down to nothing.
"Thirsty soul ... hungry soul" (107:9).
"My heart has been smitten [blighted] like grass and has withered away [dried up], indeed, I forget to eat my bread" (102:4).

Feeling overwhelmed. Possible physical effect, no strength to continue, too much to absorb.
"I am pining away [weak, feeble]" (6:2).
"My heart throbs [palpitates]" (38:10).
"My heart has failed [abandoned] me" (40:12).
"My heart is in anguish within me" (55:4).
"My heart is faint" (61:2).
"Pour out your heart before Him" (62:8). [There's enough in it to overflow.]
"My heart may fail" (73:26).
"When I sigh, then my spirit grows faint" (77:3).
"My eye has wasted away because of affliction" (88:9).
"Their soul fainted within them" (107:5).
"My spirit was overwhelmed within me" (142:3).
"Therefore my spirit is overwhelmed within me; my heart is appalled within me" (143:4).
"My spirit fails" (143:7).

Depression and despair. Dark, dangerous, debilitating.
"I would have despaired" (27:13). [Barely escaped in this case.]
"I am benumbed and badly crushed; I groan because of the agitation of my heart" (38:8).
"Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me?" (42:5; also 42:11; slight variation 43:5).
"My soul is in despair within me" (42:6).
"For our soul has sunk down into the dust" (44:25).
"Their soul melted away in their misery" (107:26).
"Despondent in heart" (109:16).

Fear and anxiety. Unreasonable, paralyzing, out of control.
"My soul is greatly dismayed [alarmed, anxious]" (6:3).
"My heart is like wax; it is melted within me" (22:14).
"Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me" (55:5).
"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me" (94:19).

Guilt. Profitable when legitimate.
"Renew a steadfast spirit in me" (51:10). [He does not have the spirit he wants.]
"Create in me a clean heart, O God" (51:10). [He does not have the heart he wants.]

Spiritual desire. Obvious positive emotion.
"My soul pants for You, O God" (42:1).
"My soul thirsts for God" (42:2).
"My soul thirsts for You" (63:1).
"My soul clings to You" (63:8).
"My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD" (84:2).
"My soul is crushed with longing after Your ordinances at all times" (119:20).
"Incline my heart to Your testimonies" (119:36). [It isn't inclined at the moment.]
"My soul languishes for Your salvation" (119:81).
"My soul longs for You, as a parched land" (143:6).

The study thus far may seem rather academic; even so, it demonstrates that no one who faces emotion, even extreme emotion, is alone or abnormal. Emotion, in its purest state, is a God-designed, normal human response. God has included examples and descriptions of emotion in the Bible, thereby revealing that it is a legitimate field of examination; emotion is something that God knows about and cares about. Future posts will deal with what God can do in hurting hearts and struggling souls. God has amazing ability to reverse negative emotions and incite positive ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.