Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Hurting Hearts and Struggling Souls - Part 2

God created man as a deep and complex person; emotions are part of man's makeup. The previous post looked at what the Psalms reveal about the depths of man: his heart, his soul, and his spirit. The psalmists describe many emotions, including sorrow, loneliness, emptiness, depression, anxiety, and guilt.

While some emotions are desirable, those listed above are not; they may, however, be appropriate at times. For example, there is nothing wrong with sorrow at the death of a loved one. Negatively-evaluated emotions like those above certainly can be wrong and definitely are wrong in many cases, but they are challenging even when they are appropriately experienced.

While all other verses included here are from Psalms, Jeremiah includes an interesting passage about the heart. "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it? I, the LORD, search the heart" (Jeremiah 17:9-10). The heart of man is difficult to understand and evaluate; ultimately, God is the only one who can do so with accuracy.

Not only does God fully understand the human heart, He alone is able to change it. The Psalms reveal many descriptions of man's emotions; they also contain many statements about God's power to influence the emotions. God can change the heart, the soul, and the spirit. When emotions are wrong, God can help His children change them. When the emotions are merely uncomfortable or unwelcome, He can sustain and encourage His children through them. The deepest and most mysterious aspect of man is under God's power.

General troubles. Knows, upholds, refreshes, repairs.
"You have known the troubles of my soul" (31:7).
"Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken" (55:22).
"The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul" (19:7).
"He restores my soul" (23:3).

Tears. Stops them, transforms them.
"You have rescued ... my eyes from tears" (116:8).
"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing" (30:11).
"His song will be with me in the night" (42:8).

Grief and sorrow. Abides, comforts, consoles, heals.
"The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (34:18).
"Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me" (23:4).
"This is my comfort in my affliction, that Your word has revived me" (119:50).
"Your consolations delight my soul" (94:19).
"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (147:3).

Loneliness and abandonment. Knows and meets the deepest longings, faithfully intervenes.
"He knows the secrets of the heart" (44:21).
"God makes a home for the lonely" (68:6).
"My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him" (62:5).
"I will tell of what He has done for my soul" (66:16).

Emptiness. Grows the heart, gives purpose, enriches, satisfies.
"You will enlarge my heart" (119:32).
"That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent" (30:12).
"You have given him his heart's desire" (21:2).
"He will give you the desires of your heart" (37:4).
"My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness" (63:5).
"We will be satisfied with the goodness of Your house" (65:4).
"He has satisfied the thirsty soul, and the hungry soul He has filled with what is good" (107:9).

Feeling overwhelmed. Listens, protects, strengthens, stabilizes, supports.
"Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge" (62:8).
"My soul takes refuge in You" (57:1).
"He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken" (62:2).
"You will strengthen their heart" (10:17).
"God is the strength of my heart" (73:26).
"His heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD" (112:7).
"His heart is upheld" (112:8).

Depression and despair. Lifts and revives, gives gladness and joy, singing and laughing.
"You who seek God, let your heart revive" (69:32).
"You have put gladness in my heart" (4:7).
"Therefore [because God is at my right hand] my heart is glad" (16:9).
"The righteous man will be glad in the LORD" (64:10).
"Make glad the soul of Your servant" (86:4).
"You will make him joyful with gladness in Your presence" (21:6).
"In Your presence is fullness of joy" (16:11).
"The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart" (19:8).
"My soul shall rejoice in the LORD" (35:9).
"My soul [will shout for joy when I sing praises to You]" (71:23).
"That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days" (90:14).
"Then our mouth was filled with laughter and our tongue with joyful shouting" (126:2).

Fear and anxiety. Removes fear, makes calm, gives courage, makes bold.
"My heart will not fear" (27:3).
"I have composed and quieted my soul" (131:2).
"My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults" (28:7).
"Let your heart take courage" (27:14 and 31:24).
"You made me bold with strength in my soul" (138:3).

Guilt. Renews, cleanses, restores.
"Renew a steadfast spirit in me" (51:10).
"Create in me a clean heart, O God" (51:10).
"Restore to me the joy of Your salvation" (51:12).

Spiritual desire. Evaluates, reveals, draws.
"Test my mind and my heart" (26:2).
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts" (139:23).
"Incline my heart to Your testimonies" (119:36).

The heart and soul, the deepest part of man, present immense challenges. Man easily seems overwhelmed, unable to cope and challenged to change. Where the deepest challenges exist, God is not limited. He can respond with the deepest and most amazing level of help. No situation is hopeless. Man's thorniest problems are a showcase for God's unmatched skill.

This is not to say that God will always change every situation in the timing and in the manner that man desires. Sometimes it is God's plan for challenges, sorrows, and testing to continue. He is always able to help His children in the midst of those troubles and challenges. If God doesn't change something, it is never because He can't. (Future posts will present practical application.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.