Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Teach and Revive

Psalm 119 powerfully presents a believer's devotion to the Bible. The psalmist repeatedly declares his love for the Word of God. "I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, which I love" (v. 48). "O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day" (v. 97). "I love Your law" (v. 113). "I love Your testimonies" (v. 119). "Your word is very pure, therefore Your servant loves it" (v. 140). "Consider how I love Your precepts" (v. 159). "I love Your law" (v. 163). "I love [Your testimonies] exceedingly" (v. 167).

The psalmist delights in the Bible. "I shall delight in Your statutes" (v. 16). "Your testimonies also are my delight" (v. 24). "I delight in [the path of Your commandments]" (v. 35). "I shall delight in Your commandments, which I love" (v. 47). "I delight in Your law" (v. 70). "Your law is my delight" (v. 77). "They are the joy of my heart" (v. 111). "Your commandments are my delight" (v. 143). "Your law is my delight" (v. 174).

The psalmist shares his longing and admiration for God's Word. "My soul is crushed with longing after Your ordinances at all times" (v. 20). "I long for Your precepts" (v. 40). "My eyes fail with longing for Your word" (v. 82). "My eyes fail with longing for ... Your righteous word" (v. 123). "Your testimonies are wonderful" (v. 129). "I opened my mouth wide and panted, for I longed for Your commandments" (v. 131). "My heart stands in awe of Your words" (v. 161). "Seven times a day I praise You because of Your righteous ordinances" (v. 164).

The psalmist's passion is profound. "With all my heart I have sought You" (v. 10). "With all my heart I will observe Your precepts" (v. 69). "May my heart be blameless in Your statutes" (v. 80).

The psalmist gives powerful pictures of the Bible's value. "Your word I have treasured in my heart" (v. 11). "I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches" (v. 14). "Your statutes are my songs" (v. 54). "The law of Your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces" (v. 72). "How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (v. 103). "I love Your commandments above gold, yes, above fine gold" (v. 127). "I rejoice at Your word, as one who finds great spoil" (v. 162).

The psalmist expresses dedicated resolve to follow the way of the Word. "Oh that my ways may be established to keep Your statutes!" (v. 5). "I have chosen the faithful way" (v. 30). "I will keep Your law continually, forever and ever" (v. 44). "I considered my ways and turned my feet to Your testimonies" (v. 59). "I will never forget Your precepts" (v. 93). "I shall diligently consider Your testimonies" (v. 95). "I have chosen Your precepts" (v. 173).

This man provides a wonderful pattern and outstanding challenge regarding a Christian's relationship with the Word. His heart appears stable and well-established, firmly founded in a strong foundation. He is the example of a mature Christian, one who would seemingly need very little improvement. What could such a man need? What would he pray for? His prayers are varied, but two petitions stand out.

The most frequent prayer of this devoted follower of God is for God to teach him. "Teach me Your statutes" (v. 12). "Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law" (v. 18). "Teach me Your statutes" (v. 26). "Make me understand the way of your precepts" (v. 27). "Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes" (v. 33). "Give me understanding" (v. 34). "Teach me Your statutes" (v. 64). "Teach me good discernment and knowledge" (v. 66). "Teach me Your statutes" (v. 68). "Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments" (v. 73). "Teach me Your ordinances" (v. 108). "Teach me Your statutes" (v. 124). "Give me understanding, that I may know Your testimonies" (v. 125). "Teach me Your statutes" (v. 135). "Give me understanding that I may live" (v. 144). "Give me understanding according to Your word" (v. 169).

Actually, this prayer for God to teach him is not completely surprising when one stops to consider. If someone loves the Word as much as this man does and is as firmly dedicating to following the Word as this man is, then it is logical that he would also have a deep desire to know and understand the Word of God. Because the Bible is so important to him, he must know it well. He must continually increase in his understanding. Even a mature Christian must be honest enough to realize he has not yet fully arrived. While initially surprising, this request makes sense.

The second frequent request is even more surprising. This devoted and dedicated follower repeatedly asks for revival. "My soul cleaves to the dust; revive me according to Your word" (v. 25). "Revive me in Your ways" (v. 37). "Revive me through Your righteousness" (v. 40). "Revive me according to Your lovingkindness" (v. 88). "Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word" (v. 107). "Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness; revive me, O LORD, according to Your ordinances" (v. 149). "Revive me according to Your word" (v. 154). "Revive me according to Your ordinances" (v. 156). "Revive me, O LORD, according to Your lovingkindness" (v. 159).

As mature and devoted as this man is, he clearly does not consider that he is perfect, nor that has he advanced beyond needing God's help. He still struggles. He has not reached a plateau where he is immune to falling. He longs for God's Word and desires to walk in His paths, but he cannot do so unless God continually renews his desire. In our quests to follow God, oh, that we would echo this man's humble dependence. Father, teach me! Father, revive me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.