Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Required Courses

In college I had to take required courses. Some were general coursework: literature, history, science, and physical education. Others were foundational courses and prerequisites specifically for my major. There were also the major content classes for my degree.

Sadly, as an eighteen- to twenty-two-year old, I wasn't always entirely perceptive of the value of each course. Too often my mindset was that I was taking the class because I had to. I slid through the two semesters of History of Civilization with a D and a (gracious) D-. Other classes were easier; I aced Physical Science Survey. Volleyball and Badminton were fun. Here's the point. Regardless of how well I did or how much I liked a class, I was mostly checking requirements off my list. I did the homework, completed the projects, took the tests, and moved through each unit until I finished the course. My accomplishment was in completing the class, hopefully with a respectable grade.

What I did not appreciate was the value of what I was learning. Even within my major, I often evaluated that one class was boring, another required a lot of projects, and another was all about memorizing lists. I thought of my classes primarily as educational, rather than instructional. That is, taking them helped me to earn a degree, but I didn't see them as teaching me how to be prepared for life.

I doubt that I was the only student who ever thought that way. Overall, I enjoyed college, but I had a limited perspective of the real value. Professors have some insight into this immature appreciation for learning. A history professor might be satisfied for the students to finish the course unable to rattle off dates and specific facts, but with an understanding of God's overarching control of history. A literature professor may rest in the confidence that his students will know how to evaluate what they read in the future, though they don't remember themes of specific works. A Bible professor might understand that his students will throw away the projects they submitted, but will have learned how to study the Bible and how to teach it to others. A wise teacher will focus on building skills rather than knowledge, since a student with skills can later pursue knowledge on his own.

There is, therefore, value in the course whether or not the student fully appreciates it, but good teachers design their courses to maximize learning. Probably the most value is achieved when the professor gets the students engaged in the process - participating actively in class and doing projects outside of class. The content becomes more practical when a student verbalizes it in discussion or writes a paper that gives increased understanding of a particular facet. For the most part, the more actively involved the student is, the greater is his long-term value from the course.

A wise student can increase his profit from each class by deliberately focusing on it. If it is computer applications, he will learn that topic thoroughly during the time the course is offered in order to best utilize those skills in the future. If it is a 101-level course, he will strive to master that information, knowing it will prepare him for 102 or 201. A wise student does not concern himself with 201 material while he is taking 101. Some of the more advanced content may be introduced to him, but he is content to master what is currently before him and then tackle the other lessons when they come.

An insightful student knows that tests will check his mastery. Instead of cramming so the content sticks in his mind just long enough to make it through the test, he genuinely learns the material so that he still knows it when exam time arrives or when his future boss assigns him a project. He regularly reviews the material, stating it out loud or rehearsing it with someone else. An exemplary student does not expect the teacher to spoon-feed him. He enhances his learning by reading his textbook, seeking out resources, and studying on his own. He embraces each project, not just to check it off his list, but to earn deeper knowledge or practical experience.

God also has required courses for His children, and the combination of classes is tailor-made for each student. Some of the lessons may seem mundane, some incredibly demanding, and others unpleasant. Instead of focusing just on "graduating with a degree" or making it into heaven, the believer must seek to gain the maximum profit from each course. Failing to do may result in mere overviews of topics rather than mastery. Since God's lessons for life are more important than college courses, a believer must give due diligence to truly learn the lessons. Then instead of just passing the course with a D and earning the credit, he is able to pass with an A, while at the same time gaining true knowledge for life. He is prepared for the next time he is tested over the same material or for the harder course of study for which this class is intended to prepare him.

This mastery can be achieved with much the same strategies that an enlightened college student would utilize. When a particular issue comes up in life, an area in which God is working, a Christian must likewise take full advantage of that course of study. Instead of muddling through the eighteen-week course like a college student might do just to check off that requirement, a wise Christian will seek to fully learn that lesson during the time it is being offered.  He will realize the wisdom of focusing on the current lesson, rather than agonizing over every other lesson yet to be learned. He will ask the Teacher questions about what he does not understand. He will seek out tutoring from the Instructor or from a designated representative. He will read the Textbook. He will review what he is learning, perhaps writing it down, verbalizing it aloud, or sharing it with others. He will do research projects, using the Bible as his source, and striving for complete mastery of that topic.

To make this last aspect practical, I want to briefly share a few examples from my own life. As someone who became increasingly emotional through age and illness, I was troubled by the suggestion that tears are stupid and inappropriate; I studied the Bible to find out what God reveals about tears - who cried, and why, and whether they was condemned. After more than one person presented me with an understanding that Christians shouldn't need friends, I studied friendships in the Bible to see what God had to say about friends. I once came to the troubling realization that I barely loved anybody, and I looked to see what the Bible has to say about love between Christians. During a missions trip to a challenging field, I did a study on peace. Currently, my heart tells me I need to know more about the love of God, so that's what I am studying.

Too many Christians struggle through life's required courses, talking to their friends about how they feel, reading books by "experts," drowning their trouble in increased activities or entertainment, internalizing their angst, or simply holding on till things get better. God has the answers for every situation in life; sometimes He wants us to do a research project. What do you need to study?

"Seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence." II Peter 1:3 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.