Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Failed Heroes: Paul

Why does it matter that these heroes failed? See introduction to series.

Paul
How was Paul a hero? Paul was, in the opinions of many, the greatest missionary that ever lived. He served God faithfully in spite of enormous pressures, numerous trials, and intense persecution. He was instrumental in carrying the gospel to an immense geographic area. He consistently shared God's Word with common people as well as with prestigious rulers. His writings comprise a large portion of the New Testament.

How did Paul fail? The most glaring offense on Paul's record was his persecution of the church. The first record of Paul (then called Saul) was at the stoning of Stephen; "Saul was in hearty agreement with putting him to death" (Acts 8:1). This event initiated "a great persecution . . . against the church" (8:1), and Saul was a key character in that persecution. "Saul began ravaging the church, entering house after house, and dragging off men and women, he would put them in prison" (8:3). As part of his attack, Saul traveled to Damascus, "still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord" (9:1). Saul's reputation was so violent and so well-known that even after his conversion, the church was afraid of him (9:13, 26).

Although Paul's role as persecutor is what most strongly categorizes him as a seeming failure, it is interesting that Paul himself revealed another aspect of his spiritual struggle, one that came after his conversion. Years into his ministry, as he wrote about sinners, he claimed to be "foremost [sinner] of all" (I Timothy 1:15). Readers of today, and probably those of Paul's day, may wonder what he meant by his admission. Scripture doesn't reveal specific struggles or glaring failures throughout Paul's ministry. Regardless of the observer's perspective, however, one cannot discount the revelations of this man of God. He knew his heart well enough to be aware of the sinful nature that still lurked there. He described his spiritual battle rather openly in Romans 7:18-21. "For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good."

What was Paul's heart response? In consideration of Paul's persecution of the church, his own words reveal his heart response. In I Corinthians, he states, "For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God" (15:9). The humility of this verse is immediately followed by Paul's insight into how God could possibly use him. "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain" (15:10). Paul again describes his previous lifestyle in Galatians 1:13: "For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it." Once more Paul tells the only way possible for such a man to be used of God. "But when God, who had set me apart from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles" (1:15-16). It was only the grace of God and the calling of God that could take Paul (or any man) and make him qualified to serve God; Paul simply obediently accepted the call and humbly received the grace.

In the life-long aspect of his spiritual struggle, Paul revealed a similar solution. As he considered the darkness and rebellion within his heart, Paul stated, "Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin" (Rom. 7:24-25). Again, Paul exuded a humility of mind that acknowledged his own weakness and his absolute need for the help and grace of God. Only with his eyes on Jesus and dependence on the Savior was Paul able to do anything worthwhile. Paul also discussed the important aspects of his desire to do the right thing (v. 18-19) and his dedication to continuing the battle (Philippians 3:12-14).

How did Paul's story end? Before Paul was taken to Rome, he met with many believers for what everyone believed to be the last time. These meetings were filled with emotion, tears, gratitude, love, and support for this man who was so special to many (Acts 20:36-38; 21:5). Paul left a legacy of churches, believers, pastors, and gospel influence that perhaps will never be matched. As he neared the end of his life, he shared his testimony, revealing his own evaluation of his life and ministry. "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith" (II Timothy 4:6-7). Though Paul ended his life as a prisoner and mostly likely in martyrdom, no Christian would doubt that Paul did a great work for God.

Application: One of the most powerful lessons of Paul's life is that one's life before salvation does not prevent a believer from serving God. If any man would seem to have been excluded from ministry, it would be Paul, yet God took Paul's exuberance, energy, and commitment, and He redirected them into work for His church instead of against it. Though Paul sorrowed over his previous life, he did not allow it to prevent him from service to God. He humbly obeyed, and God did great things through him. The other tremendous lesson from Paul's life is that even the most respected spiritual leaders have on-going struggles. Others may not see those struggles, but they do exist. Due to personal spiritual challenges, it is easy for Christians to believe themselves incapable or unworthy of serving God. "Maybe someday," they think, "when I have mastered this struggle or when I have achieved some spiritual stability." The truth is that all believers have challenges, often very intense. If everyone waited until he was perfect to start serving God, then no one would ever serve. Whether considering the skeletons of the past or the monsters of the present, the answer is the grace of God. As a Christian humbles himself before God and receives His grace, he can do all that God asks him to do.

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." II Corinthians 5:17 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.