Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Failed Heroes: Conclusion

"Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall." I Corinthians 10:11-12 (NASB)

The things that happened to those in the Old Testament happened to them as examples for later believers. The events of their lives were not accidents. Those events were then written in Scripture for the instruction of later believers. The fact that these particular stories were chosen as part of the biblical manuscript is not by mistake. The application is clearly stated. Believers are to give earnest heed to these stories, learning from those past mistakes, for the purpose of preventing falls in their own lives.

Over the past two months, we have looked at the lives of numerous Bible heroes, including patriarchs, judges, kings, prophets, and apostles, each of whom failed at some point. I wanted to take one post to give a summary of this study.

These men were heroes. Half of these men are listed in Hebrews 11 as heroes of the faith. While not all characteristics apply to each of the men, there are a number of common qualities. This group includes men whom God noticed were serving Him when others were not. The list includes men who had very personal relationships with God and directed others around them to do the same. They believed God even when they did not understand. They obeyed God even when the task was immense or confusing. They fearlessly proclaimed truth. They rejected the world and followed God. They held important positions of leadership; many of them served faithfully over long years. These men endured affliction; they performed great exploits and even miracles. They were empowered by the Spirit of God. They were respected in their day. They authored large portions of Scripture and carried God's message to the world.

Each of these men failed. If we look merely at their failures, the list is a bit shocking. Noah had an instance of drunken indiscretion that led to personal and family shame. Job wavered under his continuing trial, defending himself and challenging God. Lot exposed himself and his family to oppressive wickedness because of the temporal benefit he thought his choices would bring. Abraham had periodic failures of faith, even repeated failures in the same areas. Jacob used manipulation and deceit as he sought to control the lives of himself and others. Moses committed murder; when God tried to use him, he responded with excuses, and later displayed both disobedience and anger. Gideon was controlled by doubt, insecurity, and fear. Samson made terrible choices about women and lived based on his fleshly passions. Samuel failed with his own sons; in spite of their wickedness, he placed them in positions of leadership. Saul made foolish decisions and disobeyed God, choosing his own rules for worship and living. David was involved in polygamy, adultery, and murder; several times he took into his own hands actions that had great impact on others. Hezekiah was troubled by fear and pride. By ignoring warnings, Josiah obstinately interfered in the work of God. Elijah faced fear and discouragement; Jeremiah had great discouragement as well. Peter repeatedly spoke without thinking and then ended up denying Jesus. Paul was a notorious and vicious persecutor of the church, as well as struggling with daily Christianity.

The failures and subsequent responses of these men impacted their ministries.
·         Noah's failure came after his ministry. He responded with indignation but did not show repentance or claim responsibility. Scripture records no further impact.
·         Job's failure came in the middle of his ministry. He humbly learned to keep his eyes focused on his great God. This resulted in a greater relationship with God, restoration of blessing, and a testimony that expanded in his own time and has endured for all ages.
·         Lot's failure was throughout his lifetime. Even at the most critical time, he still longed for the benefit of civilization at the continued risk of spiritual vexation. Lot's entire family met disaster, his ministry to his family and others proved ineffective, and we know of his righteousness only because God later revealed it.
·         Abraham's failures came during his ministry. He responded in faith and obedience to what God said next and learned to trust without understanding. He personally enjoyed increased victory, leading to an ultimate reputation of faith as well as blessing on the entire world.
·         Jacob's failures happened prior to his ministry. He eventually submitted to God, realizing he could not fix his own life. His submission led to spiritual strength and to meeting the needs of others rather than himself.
·         Moses' failures came both before and during his ministry. As he submitted to and obeyed God, he was still able to serve God in a tremendous way, although he did face the consequences of his sin.
·         Gideon's failures came both before and after his ministry. After much reassurance from God, Gideon obeyed in a mission far outside his comfort zone; he saw victory and gave testimony to the great faith that prompted his obedience. Being unwilling to continue in a godly role of leadership effectively ended his ministry and even led to spiritual decline in the people he had served.
·         Samson's failure throughout his ministry resulted in no apparent spiritual sensitivity. He was used in spite of himself, though his ministry was cut short, ending in imprisonment and suicide.
·         Samuel's failure occurred throughout his ministry, though it was most prominent at the end. His life-long sensitivity to God resulted in great impact on Israel, but his failure unwittingly undermined his ministry and ended up undoing much of the good he had accomplished.
·         Saul's failures started shortly after his ministry commenced. He responded with excuses instead of repentance. As a result, he was rejected by God, committed suicide on the battlefield, and was replaced by someone who would lead spiritually as he did not.
·         David's failures occurred during his ministry. His humble and godly repentance and his habitual seeking of God for counsel resulted in continued usefulness, repeated victory, and ongoing respect.
·         Hezekiah's failure happened during the later part of his ministry. Based on his early pattern of trust, and particularly due to the repentance of his pride, God  postponed His judgment, allowing Hezekiah to emerge with an overall positive testimony.
·         Josiah's failure came at the end of his ministry. Sadly, he had no chance to repent because he died immediately. This death of Judah's last godly king was followed soon after by the conquest of the nation.
·         Elijah's failure came in the later part of his ministry. His response of humility and renewed obedience resulted in the continuation of his ministry.
·         Jeremiah's failure happened throughout his ministry. He responded in his difficulties with consistent obedience and a tenacious fixing of his eyes on God; therefore, he was able to continue his ministry even into the time of captivity.
·         Peter's failures occurred during the early years of his ministry. His consistent passion for God coupled with his sincere repentance led to restoration and increased ministry. He ended up with opportunities that he had never imagined.
·         Paul's failures occurred both prior to and during his ministry. Whether in the glaring failures of his past or the persistent failures in his present, Paul relied on the grace of God. His ministry continued until his death, with tremendous impact on the early church.

The failures of these men are instructive in what it takes to keep a believer from failing.
·         Noah - I must be on guard at all times. I can't think I can do something once and get away with it. I can't push the boundaries of what is forbidden or see how close can I come without being in danger. My actions may have greater impact that I anticipate.
·         Job - I must realize that I see only the middle of the story, but God sees the end. I must trust Him for what I can't see and wait for His response. I must learn more about God and rely on His superior wisdom when my own is confused and I want to protest.
·         Lot - I must make all life decisions based on God's standards and on what will help me to be holy and effective for God, rather than on what seems likely to bring temporary benefit.
·         Abraham - I must live with my gaze fixed on the long term and on the promises of God, regardless of what I am actually able to see. I must remember that the answer is in eternity and obey without protest.
·         Jacob - Instead of trying to arrange my own life and make everything work out, I must look to God in faith and in recognition of my need. I must let God bring about His plans for my life instead of constantly striving to achieve my own goals.
·         Moses - I must submit even when it is uncomfortable and then trust God to help me do what I don't think I can do. I must be on guard even (or especially) in my areas of strength, realizing I always have the potential to fall, even where I think I am most victorious.
·         Gideon - I must trust God to do what He says He can do through me in spite of personal perception. I must recognize Him as the source of my strength and continue in whatever role He places me for as long as He desires.
·         Samson - I must yield to God, not fighting Him at every turn. I must realize it's not by my goodness that God uses me; God can use anyone. I must desire to give Him my best years and the full measure of my strength.
·         Samuel - I must realize the importance of my individual heart. I can't rest on my family or heritage, nor can I be held back by them.  I must serve God whole-heartedly.
·         Saul - I must exercise humility and follow God's instructions instead of thinking I know better. I can't make up my own answers or rationalize what God says is wrong.
·         David - I must depend on God's guidance for all decisions and respond humbly when I have sinned.
·         Hezekiah - I can't assume God's blessing is because I deserve it, nor can I be proud of my reputation or history with God.
·         Josiah - Even after years of faithfulness, I cannot assume I have wisdom for all situations; I must continue to seek God and obey His guidance.
·         Elijah and Jeremiah - I can't quit in the discouraging times. I must put my confidence in God and keep serving for as long as He desires.
·         Peter - When my heart sincerely desires to serve God, and when I humbly repent over my failures, God can pick up the pieces and restore me to usefulness, perhaps beyond anything I thought possible.
·         Paul - What has happened in the past, no matter how bad it is, does not need to keep me from serving God. In the present, I can't be so discouraged by my ongoing struggles that I hold back from serving God. I must remember that God's grace will help me.

These stories are varied; some are happy, and some are sad. Through the collection of stories, a few truths should be obvious. Anyone is capable of failing. Failure to repent typically ends the effectiveness of a believer's ministry and can potentially reverse the success he has seen. The proper response is always humble repentance and renewed obedience. With that heart attitude, God can continue to use His children in spite of their failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.