Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Thankful Game

Several months ago I designed "the thankful game"; it's a bad designation, but I needed an identifying title. I could have used "strategy" or "tool," the world's terminology. What I established, however, was far more serious and important than a game and far deeper and more meaningful than a tool.

In a time of continued discouragement, I often found my thoughts (and emotions) going in the wrong direction. I wanted to escape the negative and focus on the positive instead. I wanted to think right things so that my focus and demeanor could change. While I didn't ignore negative or disappointing aspects of life, there was no profit to me in dwelling on those things - quite the opposite, in fact.

The game, as I designed it, was implemented by this brief challenge to myself: "Quick! Give me five things you're thankful for." I tried to play this game at least two or three times a day, often more. It was a good way to start my day, end my day, get me to work, and get me home from work. If I felt myself getting discouraged or mired in negativity, that was a good indication to say to myself, "Time for the thankful game!"

The longer I did this, the easier and more natural it became. I found myself often going past the required five items. I found it easier to come up with five items (even if it was my fourth time to play the game that day). I found myself becoming more specific. Initially, my morning thanks might be for sleep, breakfast, clothing, a car, and an apartment. Later, one of those aspects would branch into five by itself: a good night's sleep, that I didn't have bad dreams, that the fire siren didn't go off during the night, that God designed the concept of sleep, and that God gives the gift of sleep.

I also found myself giving thanks to God randomly, without having implemented the game. I found that my overall spirit was lifted and that I was a more thankful person. I no longer play the game as deliberately and routinely, but the time of deliberate thankfulness has had a lasting effect.

I mentioned that the world would call this a tool or strategy. While it was in part a strategy for lifting my spirits, thankfulness is much more than that. It is more important for me to have a thankful heart than it is for me to feel happy. It is more important for me to give God the thanks He deserves than it is for me to be distracted from negativity. The game did improve my spirits; more importantly, it challenged my character. Giving thanks is good because it is right, not because of personal benefit.

The Jews constantly offered sacrifices of crops or animals. I don't live under that requirement, but I can offer frequent sacrifices to God. Lips that speak thankfulness are an offering that God desires from Christians today. "Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name" (Hebrews 13:15).

My giving thanks two or three or five times a day was a good starting point. The more often I gave thanks, the closer I came to what God desires. It is easy to think, "I don't know what to thank God for." The answer is everything - everything in my life, both good and bad."Always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father" (Ephesians 5:20).

It is also easy to think, "After a few days of doing this, I will run out of things to be thankful for." Nothing could be further from the truth. The reality is that there are innumerable things for which to be thankful. "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits" (Psalm 103:2). God's benefits and blessings never cease. The danger is not of running out, but of failing to recognize His bountiful benefits.

I started out primarily by giving thanks for things: a good night's sleep, strength for the work day, my family, a place to live, and so on. I discovered how easy it is to branch out from those temporal things to spiritual blessings, focusing on the character of God. "Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, for His lovingkindness is everlasting" (Psalm 107:1). For example, thanking God for a good night's sleep could lead to thanking God that He never sleeps but constantly watches over me. Thanking Him for strength to work could lead to thanking Him for His amazing power in creation and in orchestrating my life. Thankfulness for my family leads to thanking God that He is my Father, a perfect Father who perfectly does and provides and gives and loves. Thanking God for a place to live naturally leads to thanking God for the home He is preparing for me.

Another area of thanks is in the experiences of life. "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father" (Colossians 3:17). I can thank God as I am doing each activity, whether that be working, eating, relaxing, going to church, interacting with friends, reading a book, etc. If it is a good and appropriate activity, I can thank God for the opportunity and ability to partake in it.

Finally, there is no bad time to play this game, only lots of good times. I played it in the car, at work, in the shower, in the kitchen, on a walk, and yes, even in bed. "At midnight I shall rise to give thanks to You because of Your righteous ordinances" (Psalm 119:62).

"It is good to give thanks to the LORD and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High" (Psalm 92:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.