Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Should I Serve?

Someone recently asked my input about continuing in a particular church ministry. Not long ago I personally considered the same question. Below are some guiding questions for decision-making about ministry.

1) Is there a need?
The fact that my area of ministry exists does not necessarily indicate a need, nor does the fact that something has not previously been done negate a new need. A church's needs change over time. I was once in a church that evaluated its existing programs to be sure each was contributing to the church's mission. A non-contributing ministry is not a need. If there is a need, that doesn't necessarily mean I should be the one to continue it, but I should be influenced by the reality of the need; if there is not a need, then discontinuation is legitimate.

"Let all things be done for edification" (I Corinthians 14:26).

2) Can I do it?
In many cases, this question alone provides much of the answer. If there is a needed ministry that I have been doing and am able to do, I should probably faithfully continue doing it, rather than placing an additional burden on someone else. If I can no longer do it effectively due to declining health, changing responsibilities, or increasing difficulty of the task, then I need to question my on-going involvement. God can give strength and ability beyond what I have naturally, but He has also designed me as a human being with limitations and with a brain to evaluate those limitations.

"In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy" (I Corinthians 4:2).

3) Is there another qualified person who wants to do it?
If my questions about continuing in my role coincide with the desire of another brother or sister to take on that ministry, God could be orchestrating a transition. Even if my doubts are not strong, there is a place within the church for selflessness and teamwork. It is important for newer and younger Christians to be trained and to become involved in the work of the church. Maybe that means I should step aside or reduce my role, focusing on the training and transition.

"The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (II Timothy 2:2).

4) Is there a reason why I shouldn't do it?
Often people feel obligated to continue doing what they have always done, but there are many legitimate reasons for stepping out of a ministry. These could include changing health, a different work schedule, or evolving family responsibilities. Due to age or inflexible work schedule, some may find that they can no longer commit consistently. People can also have spiritual needs that make ministry difficult and ineffective. For a time, they may require being ministered to rather than ministering to others. Important spiritual things happen in church, including worshipping together, encouraging one another, fellowshipping with each other, and hearing the ministry of the Word. A struggling believer especially needs these spiritual ministries, but even spiritually healthy people should not overextend themselves to the point of unduly curtailing those spiritual influences.

"For the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain . . . to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:12-13).

5) Am I doing it out of love?
If I am not serving out of love, my ministry is worthless. Ministries  started in love do not always continue that way. To use the world's terminology, people can become burnt out. If I find myself dreading or resenting my ministry, I either need to rekindle my love or I need to discontinue the ministry until I can again serve out of love.

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal" (I Corinthians 13:1).

6) If I don't do it, how will I be serving within the church?
Every part of the body of Christ is important, and every member has something to do for God. Granted, some people are very limited, but exceptions aside, the expectation is that everyone share in the ministry. If I stop doing the ministry I am doing now, will I still have a way to serve? Maybe I've been overextended and need to step back from some things, but I should still have some participation in God's work. If my desire to step away is so that I can sit back and do nothing, that is a problem.

"But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good" (I Corinthians 12:7).

7) Does God want me to do it?
Each of the above questions is subservient to this question. If God wants me to do something, He will provide the opportunity, He will give the strength, He will give me wisdom in working with others, He will remove the obstacles, He will help my heart motives to be right, and He will let me know how much He wants me to. God might want me to do something in spite of these deterring factors. He may even want me to do something that is not in my primary area of giftedness. My response must be to humbly say, "Yes, Lord," to whatever aspect of service He chooses. If, based on God's leading through the above questions and through prayer, He does not want me to something, my response must be to humbly say, "Yes, Lord." I must step aside and allow God to direct in the continuation of that ministry.

"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.