Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Where You End Up - Part 1

Even the most mature believers have times of struggle. All Christians go through seasons of discouragement, doubt, or disillusionment. I suppose Job was the most outstanding example. Job was an amazing follower of God. God Himself gave this testimony: "Have you considered my servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil" (Job 1:8).

This man endured a barrage of horrific trials while still worshiping God and maintaining his trust in God (Job 1:14-22). When a severe and prolonged illness quickly followed the previous disasters, Job reached a point of despair. He was filled with questions. He cried out to God for answers and for righteous treatment instead of what he believed he was undeservedly enduring. There is no doubt that this godly man Job went through a time of significant struggle.

The question for a believer is not whether or not those times will come; it is more a matter of how many, how often, and how intense the faith-threatening trials will be. I believe there are two very important, even critical, principles for a believer in such times of intense struggle. The first is that where the believer starts out is not nearly as important as where he ends up.

God understands human weakness. "For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust" (Psalm 103:14). His response is one of compassion (Ps. 103:13) and sympathy. "For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).

Jesus had first-hand experience of what these shattering trials are like for someone living in the weakness of a human body. It does not shock God that believers struggle. I do not believe that it even alarms God when they waver. He understands that this is the completely normal human response when someone is dealt a powerful blow.

Everyone faces battles, and everyone struggles when facing those battles. Struggles - accompanied by perhaps doubt, fear, or despair - are the common plight of mankind. The above-mentioned troubling responses surface when a new trial appears. The question then is how to change the initial response in order to end up with a different conclusion. God understands how typical it is for believers to start out with confusion or discouragement. What He wants to see is where they will end up. He desires to see them emerge at the other end with a stronger faith, a greater God-dependence, and a more submissive heart.

How does the conclusion end up better than the beginning? The answer is found in the second principle, which is that in the midst of the trial, the believer must have dependable anchors to keep him in the right place. He must have unshakeable truths to cling to. These statements might be one statement of truth amidst ten or even one hundred expressions of doubt, but there must be at least one steadfast underlying truth that upholds the believer and keeps him pressing on through the trial.

Job had several such statements that provided him with anchors amidst the raging storm, lights within the stark blackness, and hope within the overwhelming despair. He made the following statements that helped to stabilize him and allow him to eventually emerge at a much better outcome. Job believed and stated the following:

"The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD" (1:21).

"Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?" (2:10).

"Though He slay me, I will hope in Him" (13:15).

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God" (19:25-26).

"But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold" (23:10).

"I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted" (42:2).

Being sustained with such strong statements of faith in God and in His plan, is it any wonder that Job eventually ended up in a position of humble submission and complete trust? In the midst of his conflict, doubts, struggles, and despair, Job clung to some unshakeable truth that held him securely throughout the trial and enabled him to emerge at a much different position. He may have started out with intense struggle during the severe storm he faced, but he emerged victorious. Without the focus on truth, Job would never have been able to end up at the successful destination. Because he remembered truth, however, Job ended up being able to confess the following.

"Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. . . . I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; but now my eye sees You; therefore I retract, and I repent in dust and ashes" (42:3, 5-6). "Behold, I am insignificant; what can I reply to You? I lay my hand on my mouth. Once I have spoken, and I will not answer; even twice, and I will add nothing more" (40:4-5).

Job had to fight through the battle, but he held onto stabilizing truth, and he came out on the other end with victory over the trial. God understood Job's initial struggle, He was patient through the extended crisis, and He was pleased by the victorious result. God does not expect men to be super-human, but He rejoices when mere humans cling to supernatural truth to overcome daunting trials. God is pleased when believers learn and grow enough to make the position in which they end up far different from the struggles along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.