Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Thankful Things

"In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (I Thessalonians 5:18).

There are some times in life when it is easier to give thanks than at other times. Regardless of the ease or difficulty, however, God wants His children to always give thanks. His ultimate instruction is to give thanks in and for everything. That is certainly a great challenge. The very least one can do is to focus on the aspects of life for which he can be thankful, even if he still finds it difficult to give thanks in the harder things.

To be honest, there are days that if I made one list of things for which to be thankful and a second list of things that are troubling, I would find it much easier to make the second list, which would probably be longer. I'm trying to learn not to focus on the negative things. Yes, they happen, but dwelling on them and how hard they are is not at all helpful, nor is it in keeping with God's desire for me. I have found that even on the "worst" days, there is always something for which I can genuinely give thanks. Here is a sampling from the past few months.
  • blessing of special music in church - "My Heavenly Father Watches Over Me"
  • a compliment from my supervisor at work over a suggestion I presented
  • a compassionate and encouraging email from a friend when I shared a struggle
  • two friends shared book titles that were very appropriate for me
  • hugs from a lady at church for no reason other than she wanted to
  • laughter through watching I Love Lucy episodes
  • discovered a path near work that is a great place for me to walk after work
  • had the opportunity and courage to invite my neighbor to church again
  • had a nice phone call from a new friend at an especially helpful time
  • my doctor's determination to continue treatment in spite of opposition
  • thinking of a hymn "Never Alone" in the middle of a troubling night
  • my children's class really enjoyed a Bible memory game I made for them
  • finally cool enough to sleep without the air conditioner
  • a dinner invitation from busy but caring friends
  • on a few occasions at church when my heart was struggling with God, He made my heart tender
  • able to hold a friend's little baby
  • safety for my parents who were driving on a trip while exhausted
  • had the best opportunity I've ever had at work to share my belief in God
  • able to do some cleaning without any seeming effect
  • had a good opportunity for an extended talk with my little friend about sin and related topics
  • beautiful mountains along a drive home
  • fun with my niece and nephew
  • God helping me to figure some things out as I walked and talked with Him
  • God reminded me that I have His armor to protect me from the attacks of Satan
  • an excellent week of special meetings at church
  • the church song leader was able to find me an old hymnal that I can use
  • enjoyed a half day off work - doing errands and going to volleyball tournament
  • able to locate an important package that had been badly delivered
The "thankful things," as I call them, fall into every category - physical, practical, social, emotional, and spiritual. They happen at work, home, church, and elsewhere. If I'm not trying to make a list, I sometimes (or often) miss these blessings. When I do list them, however, I am encouraged to see how much God has done as He has poured out His love upon me. Is every day good? No, I wouldn't say so - but God is always good.

"Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, for His lovingkindness is everlasting." Psalm 107:1 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.