Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Storm

               The Storm (Sonnet 3)
The storms of life may seem to me unjust.
I feel the wind too strong, the waves too high.
The tossing tempest never seems to die,
And drowning threatens with each wave and gust.
The search for answers leaves me in disgust,
For to my mind appears no reason why.
But as I wonder how to just get by,
My Father whispers, “Trust, my child, just trust.
One day it will be time to understand;
My promises will be enough till then.
I realize what you need and also when.
I’ll lead you through and bring you safe to land.
I will not fail; I’m found when I am sought.
I am the Master of the storm; fear not.”

There are times in the Christian life in which it really does seem that a storm is about to destroy us. The winds whip, and the waves crash on every side. With no relief in sight, survival seems impossible. We’ve tried to do the right thing and to think the right way, but things seem just as bleak as ever. It may seem like a good time to quit trying. If life is going to be this crazy anyway, why not save our energy and avoid the extra frustration? Why not stop fighting until life becomes manageable again?

These are such human and such natural responses. God desires something more – a supernatural response. He wants us to trust Him, realizing that He is in control of what we cannot control and that He understands what we could never understand. God is big enough to trust. He will always be with us. He will always be in control. He will always have the answer. He will always deliver in His time and in His way.

These are just a few of the precious promises found in the Bible – and it is those promises that will see us through. We don’t see the answer yet, maybe not even the possibility of one, but we have the promises of God. In trying times, we must turn to and cling to those promises. Maturity teaches us to look sooner and more often to those promises that are able to carry us through the storm.

“The men were amazed, and said, ‘What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?’” Matthew 8:27 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.