Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Steadfast Anchor

          The Steadfast Anchor (Sonnet 29)
At times my feelings tell me that I’m wrong,
And following their lead, my thoughts agree.
My circumstances sing a plaintive song -
All shouting out that things are bad for me.
In spite of all that looks as if it’s true,
There is unchanging truth that helps me cope.
For come what may, no matter what’s in view,
On this one thing I firmly fix my hope.
My God will always be my faithful Friend;
He’ll never change through all that passes by.
His presence, love, control will never end.
An anchor sure - on Him I can rely.
When, of all reasons, only faith remains,
May that suffice to break doubt’s binding chains.

I just finished working back through a study I’d previously done on the book of Hebrews, a book packed full of anchors for the storms of life. The turbulent waters and pummeling winds can be so threatening. Our vision becomes filled with the storms, and hope is lost of ever sailing forward again.

In the midst of those terrifying assaults, we need to look not at the storm, but at the Savior. Doing so will provide an anchor for our soul that will hold it steady and firm. Hebrews is a great place to find anchors based on our Savior. He is presented as better than . . . well, than anything else. When we realize how amazing our Savior is and remember that He is always with us, we have the stabilizing anchor we need to get us through the storms. When we get a glimpse of His greatness, it makes all the sense in the world to place our faith confidently in Him.

“This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil.” Hebrews 6:19 (NASB)

“Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.