Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Growth Through the Word


                 No Change? (Sonnet 33)
Through passing days and weeks I see no change;
My heart desires to progress and grow.
When things seem stagnant, Lord, I think it strange,
For I seek You; I long Your ways to know.
When I look to Your Word with unveiled face
And seek to learn, I see Your glory there.
You are transforming me by Your good grace;
Your Spirit modifies the shape I bear.
And when You send afflictions to my way,
Immense eternal value they produce.
You are renewing me day after day,
So for Your work I’ll have a greater use.
No change? Oh, weakness of my human eyes;
Your Word and work will do what You devise.

The times of greatest growth in my life have always been accompanied by renewed or increased time in the Word. The relationship is probably reciprocal; that is, because I am growing, I want to spend time in the Word, but I also grow because I am spending time in the Word. This Word-inspired growth is not surprising. The Bible is our way of understanding what God wants. It is, however, far more than just a guide or handbook for Christian success. It is greater than a mere collection of instructions. The Word of God is alive.

The Bible has the power and ability to impact lives like no other book. The Word of God is sharp enough to pierce any resistant exterior, pointed enough to penetrate where nothing else can, and skillful enough to deal precisely with each problem. The Bible very effectively cuts directly to the appropriate areas in each individual’s life. The instruction does not have to be convicting or painful, though sometimes it is. At other times the growth is positive and exciting, like slashing away at the bonds that hold one back or at the coverings that seek to smother. Whether correction is needed or simply more instruction, the Bible is uniquely able to prompt spiritual growth.

 "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.