Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Selective Sacrifice

I didn't watch game three of the World Series, but I woke up during the night and noticed my friend's Facebook comment about wanting to go to bed. Her friends were commiserating with her; the game had gone on long enough. It was after 3:00 A.M., so I assumed the game was now over, but when I checked online, I discovered that the still-active game was in the top of the eighteenth inning. I laughed and went back to bed. I found out in the morning that the game had lasted a record-breaking seven hours and twenty minutes, not ending until 3:30 A.M (EST).

This incident got me thinking. I wonder how many people stayed up and watched that game until its bitter end (or triumphant end, depending on team preference). How many people will stay up again and watch game four? How many people paid $800 for an admission ticket or even $20-$35 for a team shirt? Certainly not every fan would make those sacrifices . . . but many did.

I thought some more. How many people would make those same sacrifices for spiritual purposes as they would for an athletic contest? Would they stay up till 3:30 A.M. to counsel someone in crisis or to pray for an urgent need? Would they attend all four nights of services at church, when the end time was an inconvenient 8:00 or 8:30 P.M.? Would they give $800 for a special need at church or to purchase a plane ticket to go on a mission trip? Would they give even the $20-$35 to help with a pressing need or to assist someone else who wanted to go on a mission trip?

It's not my intention to pass judgment on anyone or condemn the decisions of others. In fact, there are many people who would sacrifice to this extent for both causes and other people who wouldn't sacrifice for either. There are other people who would sacrifice to lesser degrees, while still making a meaningful investment. My point is that we do sacrifice our time and money for what is important to us. If we never give sacrificially (or even inconveniently) to God of our time and money, that says something about our level of dedication. It reveals something of the passion that we have for God (or lack thereof).

When it comes to giving money to God's work, the Bible shares the following truths.

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:20-21).

"Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver" (II Corinthians 9:6-7).

"That in a great ordeal of affliction their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality. For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints" (II Corinthians 8:2-4).

The Bible also speaks of the sacrifice of our time and of our lives.

"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it" (Mark 8:35).

"Therefore I urge you brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship" (Romans 12:1).

"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ" (Philippians 3:7).

The Bible also provides examples of people who gladly gave of themselves, sacrificing their lives for the sake of Christ.

Epaphroditus : "Because he came close to death for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was deficient in your service to me" (Philippians 2:30).

Paul: "In far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my own countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the seas, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches" (II Corinthians 11:23-28). "I will most gladly spend and be expended for your souls" (II Corinthians 12:15).

When it comes to the World Series, I can imagine some die-hard fans avowing, "It was no sacrifice for me. I love my Sox/Dodgers." Do we love God enough that our efforts for Him are no sacrifice, but a gift of love? What will we give or sacrifice for what really matters? Will we give our money to God's work? Will we only ever give the minimum or will we sometimes give something extra? Will we occasionally give until it hurts? Will we spend personal time with God? Will we faithfully attend church? Will we invest some of our time in ministry? Will we give ourselves - our lives - to be dedicated to living for God and serving Him? There is no greater cause for which we can make sacrifices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.