Under His wings, God provides protection.Under His wings, I am safely abiding,
Tho' the night deepens and tempests are wild;
Still I can trust Him - I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me and I am His child.
"Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge until destruction passes by (Psalm 57:1).
"He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark" (Psalm 91:4).
God's protection knows no boundaries. Consider some of the situations under which He affirms His ability to protect.
· the ends of the earth and the farthest sea (Psalm 65:5)· terror, arrows, pestilence, destruction (Psalm 91:5-6)
· night and day, coming and going, now and forever (Psalm 121:6&8)
· raging waters (Psalm 124:4-5)
· the remotest part of the sea (Psalm 139:9)
· the overwhelming darkness of night (Psalm 139:12)
· waters, rivers, fire, and flame (Isaiah 43:2)
Under His wings, God provides comfort.Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort and there I am blest.
"For You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy" (Psalm 63:7).
"But for you who fear My name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall" (Malachi 4:2).
God can help and comfort and heal like no one else can. He often describes this comforting quality.
· as a solicitous shepherd (Psalm 23:4)· like a compassionate father (Psalm 103:13)
· like the mother of a newborn (Isaiah 49:15)
· as the Great Physician (Mark 2:17)
· as the Father of mercies and God of all comfort (II Corinthians 1:3-4)
· as One who gives peace beyond human comprehension (Philippians 4:7)
· as a sympathizing High Priest (Hebrews 4:15)
Under His wings, God provides stability.Under His wings, O what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life's trials are o'er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus I'm safe evermore.
"May the LORD reward your work, and your wages be full from the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to seek refuge" (Ruth 2:12).
"Keep me as the apple of the eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings" (Psalm 17:8).
God is the only one with power to hold people throughout their entire lives, and He is certainly the only one who can keep them for eternity.
· He keeps His children before they are born (Psalm 139:15-16)· He keeps His children from birth (Psalm 71:6)
· He keeps His children from their youth (Psalm 71:5)
· He keeps His children in the trials of life (Psalm 25:20)
· He keeps beyond the limited capacity of man (Psalm 127:1)
· He keeps His children when they are old (Psalm 71:18)
· He keeps His children for eternity (John 10:28-29)
Under His wings, God provides undying love.Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.
"How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings" (Psalm 36:7).
"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling" (Matthew 23:27).
God's love is unmatched to a degree that man cannot comprehend. His love is incredible.
· God defines Himself as being love (I John 4:7-8)· There is no greater love than self-sacrifice (John 15:13)
· Jesus died for those who were His enemies (Romans 5:8)
· God's love is not based on any human merit (Titus 3:4-5)
· God openly declares His love (John 14:21&23 and 16:27)
· God's love is beyond comprehension (Ephesians 3:17-19)
· Nothing can separate believers from God's love (Romans 8:35-39)
· God loved first (I John 4:19)
· God's love is everlasting (Jeremiah 31:3)
· God wants believers to abide constantly in His love (John 15:9-10)
When one realizes the tremendous blessing of abiding under the protecting, comforting, stabilizing, loving wings of God, his heart should respond by earnestly desiring to remain in that position. There is no better place!
"Let me dwell in Your tent forever; let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings" (Psalm 61:4).