Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Humble Dependence

While every Christian has times of victory, there are nevertheless times of struggle and defeat also. When facing temptation, disappointment, and failure, a Christian must admit his struggle to God.

God already knows man's condition. "For [Jesus] knew all men, and . . . did not need anyone to testify concerning man, for He Himself knew what was in man" (John 2:24-25). Nothing man tells God about his weakness will shock or surprise God, but recognizing one's shortcomings can initiate movement toward help.

Admitting he is not where he would like to be is a step of growth for a Christian. Paul powerfully expressed his weakness: "Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?" (Romans 7:24). Clearly, Paul wanted to be more consistent spiritually. He admitted that he longed to be free from sin's recurrent impact on his life.

Asaph also admitted his struggle. While his words were written after he had gained victory, they disclose his piteous condition in the midst of the temptation. He summarized, "But as for me, my feet came close to stumbling, my steps had almost slipped" (Psalm 73:2). Asaph had been so troubled in his spirit that he was ready to give up on following God. "Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and washed my hands in innocence" (v. 13). Asaph admits how low he had sunk in his emotions and actions. "When my heart was embittered and I was pierced within, then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You" (vs. 21-22). This story speaks honestly of a nearly tragic failure that Asaph did not want to repeat.

Jesus spoke to a father whose son was troubled by an evil spirit. As Jesus prepared to heal the son, He questioned the father's faith. "Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, 'I do believe; help my unbelief'" (Mark 9:24). If this man possessed no belief, he would not have come to Jesus, yet he freely recognized and admitted that his faith was lacking and imperfect. He was not in the position where he wanted to be.

Admitting one's need is a helpful starting point which leads logically to formulating a resolve. In spite of moments of tremendous failure, David had a sincere heart to follow God. Whether before or after his great sin, he penned this resolve: "I will set no worthless thing before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not fasten its grip on me" (Psalm 101:3). David knew something of his own weakness, and he made this statement that he wanted to do anything he could to avoid sin.

Paul also recognized his own weakness in the midst of his resolve. "For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not" (Romans 7:18). Paul desperately wanted to do the right thing. His heart was in the right place. He knew, however, that the struggle to follow through was too great for him.

While it is important for a Christian to resolve to do right, he must realize that the strength to follow through depends on God. The resolve must be coupled with eyes that are fixed on God. In a time of fear, David prayed, "When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You" (Psalm 56:3). He freely told God that he was fearful. At the same time, David recognized that God was the answer to his weakness. David's resolve to trust could not be separated from the God in whom he was trusting.

Another psalmist penned the amazing Psalm 119. He starts by noticing and admiring faithful believers around him. This young man realized and admitted that he was not where he wanted to be. His resolve was also coupled with admission to God. "Oh that my ways may be established to keep Your statutes!" (Psalm 119:5). His heart's desire could not be accomplished without the help of the God to whom he prayed.

Anyone was struggles, either with the oppression of temptation or with the reality of spiritual immaturity, must realize that victory is possible only through God. Paul revealed that his spiritual growth and success were achieved only by God's grace. "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me" (I Corinthians 15:10). In fact, Paul disclosed that even the desire to please God could come only from God Himself. "For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

These steps work together effectively. A Christian realizes and admits his weakness. He resolves to please God in that area. He recognizes that only God's help can bring success. This leads him to asking God for help.

Something amazing happens when a Christian cries out to God in an admission of human helplessness and a plea for divine help. "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (I Peter 5:5). When man thinks he is strong enough or spiritual enough to get victory on his own, he is depriving himself of God's grace. When he humbly appeals to God, God responds with the grace needed to achieve the victory.

In considering the weaknesses and temptations of man, God instructs, "Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16). There is no victory without God's grace, but God's grace is poured out on the humble.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise" (Psalm 51:17).

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.