Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Seeing Jesus' Obedience (Part 13)

"He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" (Philippians 2:8). Jesus lived His human life in perfect obedience, though it cost Him His life. Though fully God, He obeyed whatever the Father wanted. His obedience, absolutely critical for the redemption of mankind, provides the example for Christians.

Jesus repeatedly declared His intention to obey the Father.
·         "The Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does" (John 5:19).
·         "I can do nothing on My own initiative. . . . I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 5:30).
·         "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
·         "My teaching is not Mine, but His who sent Me" (John 7:16).
·         "I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not come on My own initiative, but He sent Me" (John 8:42).
·         "We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day" (John 9:4).
·         "For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak" (John 12:49).
·         "Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight" (Matthew 11:26).
·         "And He . . . fell on His face and prayed, saying, 'My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will'" (Matthew 26:39).

Jesus acted and ministered in obedience to Scripture.
·         "Then Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. But John tried to prevent Him. . . . Jesus answering said to him, 'Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness'" (Matthew 3:13-15).
·         Jesus "settled in Capernaum, which is by the sea, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali. This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: 'The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, by the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles - the people who were sitting in darkness saw a great light, and those who were sitting in the land and shadow of death, upon them a light dawned'" (Matthew 4:13-16).
·         "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17).
·         "When evening came, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed; and He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were ill. This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: 'He Himself took our infirmities and carried away our diseases'" (Matthew 8:17).
·         "Many followed Him, and He healed them all, and warned them not to tell who He was. This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: 'Behold, My Servant whom I have chosen; My Beloved in whom My soul is well-pleased; I will put My spirit upon Him, and He shall proclaim justice to the Gentiles'" (Matthew 12:15-18).
·         "All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables, and He did not speak to them without a parable. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet: 'I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden since the foundation of the world'" (Matthew 13:35).
·         "And He opened the book and found the place where it was written, 'The spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are oppressed, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord'. . . . And He began to say to them, 'Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing'" (Luke 4:17-21).
·         "But He said to them, 'I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose'" (Luke 4:43).
·         "This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet: 'Say to the daughter of Zion, "Behold your King is coming to you, gentle, and mounted on a donkey, even on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden"'" (Matthew 21:4-5).
·         "All things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled. . . . This it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day" (Luke 24:44-46).
·         "After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, 'I am thirsty'" (John 19:28).

Jesus allowed nothing to prevent His obedient death on the cross.
·         "And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them: 'See that no one knows about this!'" (Matthew 9:30). "My hour has not yet come" (John 2:4, 7:8).
·         "Or do you not think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels? How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way? . . . Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest Me as you would against a robber? Every day I used to sit in the temple teaching and you did not seize Me. But all this has taken place to fulfill the Scriptures of the prophets" (Matthew 26:53-56).

Oh, that Christians could earnestly say, "Not as I will, but as You will."

"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" (John 14:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.