Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Make Me a Blessing

As I contemplate the new year, my thoughts have turned to a hymn by Ira Wilson, "Make Me a Blessing" (or "Out in the Highways and Byways of Life"). The first and third stanzas read as follows:

Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad;
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.

Give as 'twas given to you in your need,
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed,
Unto your mission be true.

The hymn refers to a believer's ministry to the unsaved. The needs of unbelievers are deep; lost people are indeed "weary and sad," "sorrowing," and "helpless." They need the sunshine, the love, and the help that Christians can provide by sharing the gospel message.

While this focus on unbelievers is the primary intent, the expressed aspiration of being a blessing certainly is appropriate also when fellow believers are considered. Their level of hopelessness is by no means as profound, but at times even Christians struggle with the burdens of life and are in need of encouragement and help. The chorus makes no distinction as to recipient.

Make me a blessing, make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior, I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

These words make a wonderful prayer and focus for the believer. In reality, a day in which a Christian has no positive impact on anyone else is a sad day indeed. Those who do not have regular interaction with others should not be discouraged by this statement. Even an isolated person can be a blessing through the testimony of his life, through his written words, and especially through prayer. The fact that the impact is not observed does not negate its reality.

Stay-at-home moms could easily sense that they have little opportunity to be a blessing to others. This thought is a colossal error. As they shape little lives on a constant basis, these dear mothers have the potential for the greatest possible impact. So many children are leaving the Christian faith, and mothers have perhaps the most influential position from which to make a difference, thereby impacting a much broader sphere.

Whether at home, at work, at church, or elsewhere, every believer has both the ability and the opportunity to be a blessing to others. The desire to have such an impact is aptly expressed by the hymn writer in the words "out of my life may Jesus shine." That is the key. In himself, no believer has the capacity to make a much of a difference, but when the love and care of Jesus shine through him, he can be a true blessing and can have genuine impact.

Today, this week, and this year, may others see Christ reflected in me. May they see "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" (Galatians 5:22-23). May I look more like my Savior so that others can be drawn to Him or can be encouraged to become more like Him.

The only way that I can look like Jesus is by being changed through the power of His Word. "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit" (II Corinthians 3:18).

In the Bible, I see His glory, His majesty, His brightness, and His perfection; God works to produce a measure of those same qualities in me. Jesus said, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life" (John 8:12). The influence that I have then is merely God's light shining through me. "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16).

This is God's mission for me, and I desire to perform it faithfully and effectively. Oh, to be able to hear His words of commendation, "Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master" (Matthew 25:21). Father, may I make a difference for You.

Make me a blessing, make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior, I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.