Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Helping My Prayers

The Bible contains much encouraging truth about prayer, a wonderful privilege that allows lowly man to talk to an exalted God. Though there is no merit on man's part to warrant such communication, God repeatedly encourages believers to talk to Him. "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us" (Psalm 62:8 - all verses NASB).

The believers' prayers are not like cards dropped into a suggestion box or letters written to a politician; those communications might be ignored for months, perhaps never answered nor even given serious consideration. God, on the other hand, always cares about the prayers of His children, and He always hears their cries. "But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; the LORD hears when I call to Him" (Psalm 4:3).

A major reason that a believer can pray confidently to God is that Jesus has told him he can. In human experience, this is like someone who directs a friend to a source of help; the friend does not know the potential helper, but is instructed to say, "So-and-so told me to ask you." The helper then gives help, not because of the merits of the one asking, but based on the reputation and authorization of the one who suggested the contact. Jesus says that believers can come to the Father in this way. "Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son" (John 14:13).

God can do some amazing things through prayer. The truth is that believers do not understand or anticipate all that God is able to do. There are prayers that believers never pray because they cannot comprehend the level to which God can answer.  They do not even imagine to ask for what God is entirely capable of doing. "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us" (Ephesians 3:20).

There are believers who want to take illegitimate advantage of prayer, seeing prayer as a blank check with which to ask for (and expect to receive) anything they want. Prayer does not work that way. God will not fulfill every selfish or misguided request from His children; He will, however, answer every request that is in accordance with His will. "This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him" (I John 5:14-15).

Here is where prayer can seem a little confusing or challenging. How does the believer know what God's will is? The truth is that some situations are so complicated that a believer could not possibly know what the answer should be. God offers hope even for this scenario. "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5).

In situations where wisdom is slow in coming or when God chooses to keep the believer in uncertainty, the Christian can still pray for what is on his heart and for what he desires or believes the answer to be. Jesus offers an excellent example of heart-felt yet submissive prayer. As Jesus prayed in agony in the garden, He asked, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will" (Matthew 26:39).

While I appreciate all of the above truths, there is one truth that recently has been especially precious to me. In my life context, I find myself knowing neither what God's will is nor what my own desire is. At times evidence and yearning stack up on one side; later everything will seem to support the opposite. Just to introduce some of the factors, I don't know if I should continue doing what I am doing, seek to get back into teaching, or do something completely different. Neither do I know if I can best serve God as a single lady or whether my service would be enhanced with the blessing of marriage.

At times it seems that marriage to the right person would give me a platform for ministry, and at other times it seems that being single allows me time to devote to ministry. Sometimes I desire to teach again and be part of something that really matters, and at other times I wonder if I have the energy to teach again. Perhaps God wants me to return to vocational Christian ministry, but then again maybe He wants me in a secular job that allows me time and resources to invest in other types of outreach. Maybe being married would provide some areas of support that would make me more effective in ministering to others, but maybe it would limit my compassion and effectiveness by making me less dependent on God. Maybe all of these things are relatively inconsequential, and I should be praying only for God to develop His character in me.

So often I find my heart strongly directed toward one or another of these scenarios, and I want to plead with God to do the particular thing that seems like it must be the right answer. Then with a little time, one of the other options seems to be the overwhelmingly correct one. The best I know to do is to keep my heart tender to God, to keep doing what He has shown me to do, to explore possibilities that He brings across my path, and to rely on this final encouraging truth. "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God" (Romans 8:26-27).

The Holy Spirit is my intercessor; He meets with God on my behalf. He knows what God's will is, and He prays for me as I ought to be prayed for in each situation. I can want to do God's will with all my heart. I can fervently pray for what I believe to be God's will. I can humbly submit to God's overriding of my desires. Having done all of those things, I still might not know what God wants. Part of my weakness is that even my prayers are weak. I don't know how to pray, but the Spirit prays the best things for me even when my most sincere efforts fall short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.