Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

One More Thing

Over two years ago when I considered starting to blog about Christian growth, there were a number of aspects to think about. A lot of those dealt with the technical side - how to set up the blog page, how often to post, figuring out the process, and so on. One particular facet pertained to the content itself. I didn't want to start something that would soon fizzle out for lack of ideas.

I had some concern that after several months I might run out of things to write about. I actually got a notebook and starting jotting down ideas I already had, and I was encouraged to see that my initial list could probably keep me going for a year or more. The funny thing is that most of those ideas are still waiting to be written about. I have those topics to peruse and utilize from time to time, but most of the posts are "fresh." That is, they come from what God is currently showing me or working in my life. Sometimes that means an entire list or series that I progress through over the course of several months, and sometimes a last minute topic will emerge just when I am searching for what to write about next.

It has been encouraging to see God direct me to these various topics and series. More than once I have kind of grinned at the naiveté of my initial concern. After all, the entire premise of my blog is that the Christian life is an ongoing journey that will continue until the believer reaches heaven. So as long as I continue to pursue that journey, there will always be things to write about, because God will always be teaching me new things.

Recent months have reminded me again of this truth. There are times in the Christian walk that seem fairly uneventful, when life proceeds steadily onward. Then there are times that God shakes things up. Life suddenly becomes a perplexity of challenges, a multi-pronged assault that throws everything out of whack and therefore becomes a great opportunity for learning and growth. As I recently considered and recorded the lessons that God has been teaching me, the list got rather lengthy. I figured that if I develop each of those lessons into blog posts, I will have something to share for around six months, (and undoubtedly other topics will come up in the meanwhile).

This realization does not reflect credit to me; rather, it reflects the gracious and patient hand of God. When I obviously have so many things in my life that I need to learn, I have a God who thoughtfully and progressively addresses each one of them. He knows that I am no longer what I used to be, but He also knows that I am not yet what He wishes me to be. His training program addresses each of these topics in its time as God works to mold me more and more into the image of His Son and as He helps me to know Him better.

As long as God continues in His grace to keep my heart tender to Him and continues to help me grow in various areas, I will never lack for something to share with others. That's really what this blog is about - reflecting on how God has helped and is helping me to grow, and then sharing that with others to encourage their growth as well. The ultimate value comes as I accurately share God's truth and as I reveal the Christian walk through the truth of the Word.

From a human standpoint, I believe such sharing to be more effective when it is not merely a rehashing or synopsis of things I have already known, but rather the passion and excitement of learning fresh things. I thank God for His continued work in my life so that I can share testimony of His work and so that, by God's grace, others can benefit as the result of my struggles. Yes, as long as I remain flexible and responsive to God's work, there will always be one more thing to learn.

These thoughts remind me of several verses. There are many others throughout Scripture, but I believe the three below clearly illustrate the truth under consideration.

"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6 NASB). God has started His work in me, but He has not finished it yet. Since it is not finished, He will keep doing it as long as there is life and time.

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit" (II Corinthians 3:18 NASB). The transformation is a process. It is happening and continues to progress until I see the glory of God revealed.

"Every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit" (John 15:2b NASB). Even when I have grown enough that God is able to use me, my growth and adjustment is not finished. God continues to work to improve my fruitfulness for Him, just as a farmer would continue pruning his trees year after year.

I am truly thankful for what God has done, and I anticipate His continued work in my life as over and over again He teaches me the next thing.

1 comment:

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.