Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

God Knows Me

There are many things that God knows regarding me. Actually, He knows everything about me, so the following study is by no means exhaustive. These topics, however, are ones specifically mentioned within the context of knowledge, and I believe they are comforting and reassuring.

First, and most important, God knows that I belong to Him. "I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know me" (John 10:14 - all verses NASB). "Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, 'The Lord knows those who are His'" (II Timothy 2:19). God redeemed me and claimed me as His own, and that is something He will never forget. His actions toward me are based upon His knowledge that I am His child.

Second, God knows every detail of my daily life. "You know when I sit down and when I rise up. . . . You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways" (Psalm 139:2a&3). How intimately does He know me? "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered" (Matthew 10:30). Nothing about what happens to me escapes God's knowledge. He knows my past, and He knew it when He chose me. He knows when I have joy and victory, and He knows when I have sorrow and defeat. He knows when I have a bad day, facing challenges and temptations, and He knows exactly what blessings to send and what kind of help I need.

Third, God knows my thoughts. "You understand my thought from afar" (Psalm 139:2b). Sometimes spouses know what each other is thinking, but God always knows what I am thinking. This is a challenge to me to guard against wrong thinking, but it is also a comfort. When I have no one else to share with, or when I am not in a position to be able to verbalize my thoughts, God knows them. If I state some of my thoughts out loud, others might think me crazy or insincere, but God knows my thoughts as they really are.

Fourth, God knows my heart. This is a wonderful truth, because my heart is so hard to understand that I don't always know it myself. "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it? I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds" (Jeremiah 17:9-10). God knows the darkness of my heart, things that are perhaps hidden to me or that I am reluctant to yield, and He can work appropriately to bring those things to the light so they can be healed. He also knows the positive intentions, desires, and passions of my heart that maybe I can't yet verbalize or figure out to express, and He guides me toward those good ends when my own knowledge is incomplete.

Fifth, God knows how I should pray. I don't always know that. Sometimes the burdens and needs are too deep for me to express or too puzzling and complicated for me to begin to understand, but God knows the exact prayer that should be offered on my behalf in every situation. "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words" (Romans 8:26). What a comfort that when I am completely lost, I can still come to God, and the Spirit prays for me. When my prayers are wrong based on my faulty knowledge, the Spirit presents those prayers with the knowledge of the will of God.

Sixth, God knows my future. He knows the needs that will confront me. "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him" (Matthew 6:8). God knows His plans for me, and He knows how to take every life situation and use it to accomplish His good purposes. "But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold" (Job 23:10). This is the wonder of the Christian life. God knows the best results for me, and He knows how to bring about His planned result for good no matter how things may seem to me. When God looks at my life, He sees a happy ending. By His grace, that will be continued progress toward sanctification, culminating in the day that He takes me to heaven where I will finally "be like Him, because [I] will see Him just as He is" (I John 3:2b).

I am so thankful for what God knows about me. His great knowledge, far superior to my own, compels me to trust Him. Anyone who knows as much as God knows cannot fail to understand me and my needs, and He cannot possibly make a mistake.

"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!" Romans 11:33 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.