Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Prayer Through Journaling

One of the greatest blessings of life is a good friend with a listening ear. Humans are made to interact with others, to be social, and to communicate. Much of that conversation is relatively insignificant. Friends talk about the weather, what they did today, and what they ate for supper. In the context of relationships, it is important to have that sort of relaxed talk, as it demonstrates an interest in the everyday life of someone else.

There is a deeper level of conversation, however. There is the sharing of struggles, discouragements, ambitions, passions, evaluations, opinions, and so on. In other words, there is conversation that goes beyond routine small talk to reveal what one thinks and feels. It is conversation that opens a window into the soul.

Such communication has multiple benefits. Open and honest communication builds the relationship and strengthens the foundation upon which it is founded. The conversation can offer encouragement to one or both parties. Because of the trust involved as well as the investment of time and attention, these conversations are expressions of love. They can be therapeutic, simply from having the opportunity to talk things out, or by receiving valuable input from the other person. Two people talking together may be able to arrive at a proper conclusion that neither one may have reached individually. Serious conversation provides great opportunities for sharing godly wisdom, obtaining valuable guidance, and prompting meaningful prayer.

Rarely are humans blessed with a large group of people with whom to enjoy this type of conversation. Often there are just a few select people or a handful of special friends with whom this sharing can occur. A sibling can fill the role, as can a long-time friend. For younger people, it is often a high school or college friend. Later, that role is often taken over by a spouse. Sadly, there are people who, as diligently as they look, cannot seem to find anyone with whom to talk on that deeper level.

For those who lack such a valuable resource, the answer to their need is found in God. God is the friend who is always available and always interested. He has a heart of unfailing love and comfort. He knows all the right answers and can guide the believer into truth. Too often Christians think of prayer only as a means of thanking God for blessings and asking Him requests. Prayer can be so much more. It can be simply talking - including all of the types of conversation listed above - the burdens, the ambitions, the evaluations, and so forth. Who better to share those matters of the soul than the one who knows the soul so well?

I have found journaling to be an effective way of talking to God. Journaling can include so many different things, from prayer requests to sermon notes to Bible study insights and more. My journaling is almost exclusively just talking to God about life. I don't do it as often as I would like, but when I do, it is usually rather lengthy, as I talk out issues that have been building up without any other person with whom to discuss them.

Talking issues through with God provides all of the benefits listed above. It definitely builds the relationship with God, as I trust Him with issues that are at times too personal to share with anyone else. I am encouraged, as God responds by giving me His grace. These conversations are a wonderful expression of the love of God, as I know that He listens to and cares about everything that matters to me.

As far as the therapeutic aspect, there is no other listener who can give the level of help that God can give. As I deliberately and systematically type out my thoughts before God, He often helps me to recognize wrong thinking or to identify the root cause of a struggle. In fact, in some ways or situations, journaling may be an even better method of prayer than talking, because the words come more slowly, more deliberately, and with more thoughtful consideration. When I journal, I have to put the issues into real words rather than the somewhat nebulous, half-verbalized impressions that can characterize spoken (especially internal) prayer. My words may reflect error that needs addressed or foundational truths that I need to cling to. Journaling enables me to visually record my thoughts so that I can remember them long enough to adequately deal with them; I can even return to them at a later date if the topic is too big for one day or if I am initially unable to see truth. As I prayerfully consider those thoughts before God, He guides me from error to truth. He helps me to reaffirm the truth I know. He helps me to make determinations and decisions. He shows me how to pray.

When I have this type of written conversation with God, I never have to worry about the topic being uncomfortable, too personal, or off limits. I don't need to be concerned that God will reject me because of what I share, that He will look down on me for my weakness, or that He will shake His head at my confusion. I don't need to worry about how long or how often I talk about a particular subject; God has as much time as I do. He is ever patient, ever gracious, always ready to forgive. He always stands ready to hear my prayers for help, even when all I can ask for is that He will help me to want the right heart response.

Having a human friend to talk things over with is a great blessing, but conversations with God are even sweeter and can include things that I would not share with any other person. I would not want anyone to access my personal journaling with God, but knowing that the conversation is just between God and me, I can speak freely with no fears or inhibitions.

"Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:8 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.