Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Psalm 119 - Qoph

Once again the psalmist finds himself in need of help. The only identification of the trouble comes in verse 150: "Those who follow after wickedness draw near." Does the psalmist need protection from these wicked men? Or does he need help in responding correctly through their attack? He does not specify, but most likely the answer is both. The prayers of shallow disciples ask only for deliverance from the external challenges; those of the devoted also ask for victory in the internal challenges.

That this man is crying out for help is quite apparent. He states, "I cried with all my heart" (v. 145), "I cried to You" (v. 146), and "I cry for help" (v. 147). His words indicate a need for someone to hear him and respond: "Answer me" (v. 145) and "Hear my voice" (v. 149). He asks God, "Save me" (v. 146) and "Revive me" (v. 149).

As the psalmist cries for help, he turns to the right place. His entreaties are clearly directed toward God. Nowhere in the passage does he mention any other person as his help, but he repeatedly cries to God. "Answer me, O LORD!" (v. 145). "I cried to You" (v. 146). "I wait for Your words" (v. 148). "Revive me, O LORD" (v. 149). "You are near, O LORD" (v. 151). His thoughts are so God-centered that in this stanza about his personal situation, the psalmist uses more references to God (LORD, You, Your) than he does to himself (I, me, my).

The best way for a believer to see God is through the Word. The psalmist appropriately does his part, by seeking God's help through the Word. He knows the Word is dependable; he declares it to be "truth" (v. 151), and he recognizes its faithful history (v. 152). In this difficult time, the psalmist devotes time to the Word, apparently more than normal. In order to seek God and His Word, the psalmist reveals, "I rise before dawn" (v. 147) and "My eyes anticipate the night watches" (v. 148).

Though the psalmist faithfully seeks God and turns to the right source, he is dependent on God to respond. Man must seek, but all his seeking falls short if God does not bless. This man cries out "with all [his] heart" (v. 145) for God to do just that. As already noted, he repeatedly asks not just for a listening ear to hear his cry, but also for a gracious hand to answer and respond. This man needs God to do His work so that his prayers are not in vain. The psalmist fully expects God to respond, because that is what God does. God acts in accordance with His lovingkindness as well as in harmony with how He is revealed in His Word (v. 149). This needy man ends the stanza by reminding himself of both the faithfulness of the Word and the nearness of his God.

In desperate times this man knows where to turn. He is left crying out from the depths of his heart, but he cries to the right source - a loving and ever-present God. As he waits for God's answer to be revealed, he seeks in the right place - the faithful Word of God. Will he be disappointed? Will the deliverance come? It is uncertain how or when the external attack will stop. With his focused dependence on God and His Word, however, this man will have victory in the internal battle. That successful answer is found only in God.

"Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness; revive me, O LORD, according to Your ordinances." Psalm 119:149 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.