Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Read Only What Applies

One of the biggest books on my shelf is one my parents gave me several years ago: the Mayo Clinic Family Health Book, with an impressive 1,448 pages. I have read parts of the book, but it isn’t one that I will ever sit down and read in its entirety. I have no reason to read the sections on pregnancy or men’s diseases, and with the blessing of God, there are many other sections that I trust I will never have the need to look at. I have used the book on occasion to look up issues that pertained to me or someone I care about, but the total number of pages I’ve read is pretty limited. This book is designed as a resource; the reader looks to it for answers to specific questions that are pertinent to his immediate situation. As far as any individual is concerned, the rest of the book is basically wasted paper.

Too often we read the Bible the same way. When we get into a difficult situation, we want to have an index to consult so that we can turn to the right verse or passage that is pertinent to our immediate situation. We read that section in our time of need, but unfortunately consider many other sections of the Bible to be unnecessary or inapplicable to our lives. In reality, the Bible isn’t that kind of book. All parts of the Bible are useful and applicable to all Christians. When we use the Bible selectively as a resource, we limit our overall Christian walk, and ironically, we also limit our capacity to properly respond in any momentary challenge.

A broad understanding of the Bible as a whole and a deep understanding of its various parts enable a Christian to live life with the power and wisdom of God. We must then invest the time required to study and understand the Word of God – and not just our favorite few verses.

This type of understanding cannot be achieved overnight. It requires, in fact, a life-long dedication. Our initial efforts involve simply reading the Bible in its entirety. Deeper understanding comes as we strive to comprehend the content of a particular book, perhaps by writing summary statements for each chapter. After this, there is really no limit to the depth of our study. As we spend time in a particular book, we begin to master its themes and major topics. We see how the various parts interact to teach a central truth. We understand how each book fits into the rest of the Bible and how it practically affects our daily lives.

Coming to know and understand a book of the Bible in this deeper fashion is rewarding, enlightening, and very encouraging. My experience with the books I have been able to study thus far this convinces me that such study is immensely profitable. I desire to pursue a meaningful understanding of each book of the Bible. One book at a time, I trust that God will help me in this pursuit. While I don’t know how many books I will eventually study, I do know that each successive study will be a blessing, since every book of the Bible applies to my life.

“All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness.” II Timothy 3:16 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.