Purpose

This blog focuses on the quest to know and please God in a constantly increasing way. The upward journey never ends. My prayer is that this blog will reflect a heart that seeks God and that it will encourage others who share the same heart desire.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Trust and Defer

Current life circumstances have me frequently pondering some familiar verses. "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6).
         
There are times and situations in life when we don't know the answers and don't know what steps to take next. Our hearts are inclined toward God, and we want to do the right thing, but we don't know exactly what that is.

Because we don't know, our own inadequate understanding is not a trusty guide. Instead of leaning on our own understanding, we must depend on God's understanding, which is infinitely superior to ours. What doesn’t make sense to us makes perfect sense to God. While we can't trust our own understanding, we can definitely trust God's understanding. He not only knows every answer, but He also knows the means of achieving each answer.

"Who has directed the Spirit of the LORD, or as His counselor has informed Him? With whom did He consult and who gave Him understanding? And who taught Him in the path of justice and taught Him knowledge and informed Him of the way of understanding?" (Isaiah 40:14-15).

"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!" (Romans 11:33).

"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' declares the LORD. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts'" (Isaiah 55:8-9).

God's immense wisdom is not the only reason to trust Him. God also has all the power and control necessary to direct every situation in life. From the largest situation to the smallest detail, God can powerfully and precisely intervene. I've seen Him do it repeatedly in my own life. I've seen intricately arranged timing and perfectly arranged circumstances. This is not a challenge for God. We can trust Him not only to know the right answer, but also to bring that answer effectively to pass.

"Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these stars, the One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, not one of them is missing" (Isaiah 40:26).

"All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What have You done?'" (Daniel 4:35).

"The LORD of hosts has sworn saying, 'Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand'" (Isaiah 14:24).

"For nothing will be impossible with God" (Luke 1:37).

Since God knows all things, since He can do all things, and since we can trust Him whole-heartedly, it is entirely logical to allow Him to make decisions for us. At each step along the way, we can acknowledge God. We can look to Him in each decision. We can seek His input, stepping aside and letting Him decide. We can leave every decision to God, resolved to follow whatever answer He chooses.

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you" (Psalm 32:8).

"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5).

"Make me know Your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, or You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day" (Psalm 25:4).

When we consistently look to God to show His desire and to make the decisions for us, God will show us the right path. He will lead faithfully, and He will properly direct. He will produce the right and best outcome.

"As for God, His way is blameless; the word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him" (Psalm 18:30).

"I will cry to God Most High, to God who accomplishes all things for me" (Psalm 57:2).

Because we are human, it is hard for us not to know. It is hard to wait for situations to play themselves out. Even when we want to trust God and when we think we are trusting Him, we often find ourselves faltering. Our thoughts become anxious, and our minds become busy with trying to find answers. That is when we must deliberately stop ourselves and remember the truths of Proverbs 3:5-6. "I can trust Him. He does know. He will do the best thing." As long as we remember these truths, we can rest in the care He will give, and as long as we acknowledge God in each situation, we can be confident in the outcome He will arrange.

Trust His Understanding (Sonnet 27)
I cannot trust myself; I am too weak,
But I must trust in God with all my heart.
Completely helpless, He’s the one I seek.
I lean on Him to show me ev’ry part.
My God knows things that I can’t understand;
His thoughts are so much higher than my own.
I cannot lean on help from my own hand,
But humbly seek wise counsel at His throne.
In ev’ry path I must see my great need
And look to Him to be my trusty Guide.
Acknowledging His wisdom, not impede;
Remove myself and let my God decide.
Then He will wisely lead me through each gate,
And He’ll direct each path and make it straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As you leave comments and feedback, please remember that this site is desiged to edify and encourage.